top of page
  • Daniel Louis

The Process of Obtaining Legal Residency through a U.S. Citizen Child

Updated: Jul 14, 2022

I have a U.S. citizen child. Does that mean I can become a Legal Permanent Resident?

Clients seeking to obtain legal residency (AKA “green card”) in the United States often ask me whether having a U.S. citizen child helps them in any way. The answer depends on (1) the age of the child and (2) whether the parent is eligible to obtain legal residency.

Child must be 21 years old and a U.S. Citizen

U.S. citizen children who are 21 years or older may file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”). USCIS is the agency responsible for processing this petition and most other immigration applications. Currently, USCIS charges a $535 filing fee to process the I-130 petition.

Children who are under the age of 21 are not eligible to file Form I-130. Children who are Legal Permanent Residents are also not eligible to file for their parents. Please note that a 21-year-old child would need to file a separate petition for each parent. In other words, it is not possible to file one petition for both parents.

Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, parents of U.S. citizen children aged 21 or older are considered “immediate relatives.” Other immediate relatives include spouses of U.S. citizens and minor children (aged 21 or younger) of U.S. citizen parents. “Immediate relatives” is a classification or category allowing such individuals to apply for legal residency. There are other classifications as well, but the immediate relative classification is the best one because there is not a waiting line.

For example, siblings of U.S. citizens can also apply for legal residency but sometimes they are required to wait decades before they are eligible to apply. Immediate relatives, on the other hand, can apply for legal residency as soon as the I-130 petition is approved. In some cases, the immediate relative parent can even file their application for legal residency at the same time their child files the I-130 petition.

If USCIS approves the I-130, will the parent become a Legal Permanent Resident?

Not necessarily! It is important to remember that an approved I-130 petition only results in the parent obtaining an immediate relative classification. An approved I-130 petition does not grant the parent any lawful status or right to work in the United States. In order to become a legal resident, a parent must be admissible to the United States and complete a separate application. I often tell clients that an approved I-130 petition opens the door, but you must still request permission to enter through the doorway.

How do I know if I am eligible to become a Legal Permanent Resident?

This is the most important question because it is a waste of time and money to file the I-130 petition if the parent is not eligible to obtain legal residency in the first place. There are many factors that go into this analysis, and it is extremely important that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make sure that you or your loved one is eligible.

Below are just a few examples of why someone may not be eligible for legal residency:

1. Criminal arrests and convictions

2. Unlawful presence in the U.S.

3. Multiple illegal entries into the U.S.

4. Prior acts of immigration fraud

5. Helping someone enter the U.S. illegally

Again, the exact circumstances of your case will determine whether you are eligible to apply for Legal Permanent Residency. Some criminal convictions do not disqualify an applicant. Other crimes and fraud acts can technically disqualify an applicant, but the applicant may qualify for a waiver and still be able to apply. There are also other inadmissibility grounds not listed here that may disqualify an applicant. For this reason, it is imperative that you consult with an immigration attorney prior to filing so that an evaluation can be tailored to your specific case.

My friend has a U.S. citizen child and a lengthy criminal record but was still able to become a Legal Permanent Resident without leaving the United States. Can I do the same?

Every case has different facts that may affect an individual’s eligibility for legal residency. Unfortunately, the U.S. immigration laws often lead to inconsistent outcomes. So keep in mind that without knowing the exact facts of your friend’s case, it is impossible to compare.

That being said, many parents of U.S. citizen children are eligible to complete a process called “adjustment of status” permitting them to obtain legal residency without leaving the United States. Parents who legally entered the U.S. are often eligible for this process even if they have overstayed the permission granted under their visa or parole document. Other parents may qualify if a different relative (i.e. a U.S. citizen sibling) previously filed an I-130 petition on their behalf prior to April 30, 2001. Parents who qualify for the adjustment of status process can file Form I-485, Application to Adjust Status at the same time their child files the I-130 petition. The USCIS filing fee for the I-485 application depends on the age of the applicant, but in most cases, it is $1,225.

However, if a parent did not enter the U.S. legally and is not the beneficiary of an I-130 petition filed before April 30, 2001, it may be necessary to complete the process at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad. This process can only take place after USCIS has approved the I-130 petition. Unfortunately, there are potential inadmissibility grounds that may be triggered if you leave the United States to complete your application at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. While unlawful presence in the U.S. is often excused in the adjustment of status process, that same unlawful presence may disqualify an applicant from obtaining Legal Permanent Residency unless they are eligible for a waiver. This is a topic best left for another blog post, but the complexities serve as yet another reminder of why you should at least consult with an immigration attorney prior to applying.

Attorney Daniel Louis has helped countless individuals obtain lawful status in the United States. Many of those individuals have obtained legal residency through their U.S. citizen children either through the adjustment of status process or abroad at a U.S. Consulate. Please schedule a consultation at your convenience for a thorough review of you or your loved one’s eligibility.


Tengo un hijo ciudadano estadounidense. ¿Significa eso que puedo convertirme en Residente Permanente Legal?

Los clientes que buscan obtener la residencia legal en los EE. UU. a menudo me preguntan si tener un hijo ciudadano estadounidense les ayuda de alguna manera. La respuesta depende de (1) la edad del niño y (2) si el padre es elegible para obtener la residencia legal.

El niño debe tener 21 años y ser ciudadano estadounidense

Los niños ciudadanos estadounidenses que tienen 21 años o más pueden presentar el Formulario I-130, Petición de familiar extranjero ante los Servicios de Ciudadanía e Inmigración de los Estados Unidos ("USCIS"). USCIS es la agencia responsable de procesar esta petición y la mayoría de las demás solicitudes de inmigración. USCIS cobra una tarifa de presentación de $535 para procesar la petición I-130.

Los niños menores de 21 años no son elegibles para presentar el Formulario I-130. Los niños que son Residentes Permanentes Legales tampoco son elegibles para presentar por sus padres. Tenga en cuenta que un niño de 21 años deberá presentar una petición por separado para cada padre. En otras palabras, no es posible presentar una petición para ambos padres.

Según la Ley de Inmigración y Nacionalidad, los padres de niños ciudadanos estadounidenses de 21 años o más se consideran "parientes inmediatos". Otros parientes inmediatos incluyen cónyuges de ciudadanos estadounidenses e hijos menores (de 21 años o menos) de padres ciudadanos estadounidenses. “Familiares inmediatos” es una clasificación o categoría que permite a dichas personas solicitar la residencia legal. También hay otras clasificaciones, pero la clasificación relativa inmediata es la mejor porque no hay una línea de espera.

Por ejemplo, los hermanos de ciudadanos estadounidenses también pueden solicitar la residencia legal, pero a veces deben esperar décadas antes de ser elegibles para solicitarla. Los familiares inmediatos, por otro lado, pueden solicitar la residencia legal tan pronto como se apruebe la petición I-130. En algunos casos, el pariente inmediato puede incluso presentar su solicitud de residencia legal al mismo tiempo que su hijo presenta la petición I-130.

Si USCIS aprueba el I-130, ¿se convertirá el padre en residente legal permanente?

¡No necesariamente! Es importante recordar que una petición I-130 aprobada solo da como resultado que el padre obtenga una clasificación de pariente inmediato. Una petición I-130 aprobada no otorga al padre ningún estatus legal ni derecho a trabajar en los EE. UU. Para convertirse en residente legal, uno de los padres debe ser admisible en los EE. UU. y completar una solicitud por separado. A menudo les digo a los clientes que una petición I-130 aprobada abre la puerta, pero aún debe solicitar permiso para ingresar por la puerta.

¿Cómo sé si soy elegible para convertirme en Residente Permanente Legal?

Esta es la pregunta más importante porque es una pérdida de tiempo y dinero presentar la petición I-130 si el padre no es elegible para obtener la residencia legal en primer lugar. Hay muchos factores que intervienen en este análisis, y es extremadamente importante que consulte con un abogado de inmigración con experiencia para asegurarse de que usted o su ser querido son elegibles.

A continuación se presentan algunos ejemplos de por qué alguien puede no ser elegible para la residencia legal:

1. Detenciones y condenas penales

2. Presencia ilegal en los EE. UU.

3. Múltiples entradas ilegales a los EE. UU.

4. Actos previos de fraude migratorio

5. Ayudar a alguien a ingresar ilegalmente a los EE. UU.

Nuevamente, las circunstancias exactas de su caso determinarán si es elegible para solicitar la Residencia Permanente Legal. Algunas condenas penales no descalifican a un solicitante. Otros delitos y actos de fraude técnicamente pueden descalificar a un solicitante, pero el solicitante puede calificar para un perdón y aún así poder presentar la solicitud. También existen otros motivos de inadmisibilidad que no se enumeran aquí y que pueden descalificar a un solicitante. Por esta razón, es imperativo que consulte con un abogado de inmigración antes de presentar la solicitud para que se pueda adaptar una evaluación a su caso específico.

Mi amigo tiene un hijo ciudadano de los EE. UU. y un extenso historial criminal, pero aún pudo convertirse en residente legal permanente sin salir de los Estados Unidos. ¿Puedo hacer lo mismo?

Cada caso tiene diferentes hechos que pueden afectar la elegibilidad de un individuo para la residencia legal. Desafortunadamente, las leyes de inmigración de los EE. UU. a menudo conducen a resultados inconsistentes. Así que tenga en cuenta que sin conocer los hechos exactos del caso de su amigo, es imposible comparar.

Dicho esto, muchos padres de niños ciudadanos estadounidenses son elegibles para completar un proceso llamado "ajuste de estatus" que les permite obtener la residencia legal sin salir de los EE. UU. Los padres que ingresaron legalmente a los EE. UU. a menudo son elegibles para este proceso, incluso si se han quedado más tiempo del permitido en virtud de su visa o documento de “parole.” Otros padres pueden calificar si un pariente diferente (es decir, un hermano ciudadano estadounidense) presentó previamente una petición I-130 en su nombre antes del 30 de abril de 2001. Los padres que califican para el proceso de ajuste de estatus pueden presentar el Formulario I-485, Solicitud de Ajustar estatus al mismo tiempo que su hijo presenta la petición I-130. La tarifa de presentación de USCIS para la solicitud I-485 depende de la edad del solicitante, pero en la mayoría de los casos es de $1,225.

Sin embargo, si uno de los padres no ingresó legalmente a los EE. UU. y no es beneficiario de una petición I-130 presentada antes del 30 de abril de 2001, es posible que sea necesario completar el proceso en una embajada o consulado de los EE. UU. en el extranjero. Este proceso solo puede llevarse a cabo después de que USCIS haya aprobado la petición I-130. Desafortunadamente, existen posibles motivos de inadmisibilidad que pueden activarse si sale de los EE. UU. para completar su solicitud en la Embajada o el Consulado de los Estados Unidos. Si bien la presencia ilegal en los EE. UU. a menudo se excusa en el proceso de ajuste de estatus, esa misma presencia ilegal puede descalificar a un solicitante para obtener la residencia legal permanente a menos que sea elegible para una exención. Es mejor dejar este tema para otro día, pero las complejidades sirven como otro recordatorio de por qué al menos debe consultar con un abogado de inmigración antes de presentar la solicitud.

El abogado Daniel Louis ha ayudado a innumerables personas a obtener un estatus legal en los Estados Unidos. Muchas de esas personas han obtenido la residencia legal a través de sus hijos ciudadanos estadounidenses, ya sea a través del proceso de ajuste de estatus o en el extranjero en un Consulado de los EE. UU. Programe una consulta a su conveniencia para una revisión exhaustiva de su elegibilidad o la de su ser querido.

20 views0 comments


Commenting has been turned off.
Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page